Friday afternoon, I installed Birds of a Feather in the home of the client.
Here’s a shot of the proud new owner of Birds of a Feather:
Pat loves the piece . . . she told me she smiles every time she looks at it.
I feel she is reminded of Michael when she sees it. It’s a great memorial piece.
Eleven days ago, I started on this new project. Rather than stop to take photos as I went, I put my head down and “did the work.” I got into a rhythm and simply couldn’t stop!
Here’s what I came up with:
Here’s what the piece looks like upside down:
I like the way the piece turned out, though I had my share of mishaps. Half of the pieces should have been cut in reverse; I needed both left- and right-handed versions of the pieces. Since I used foundation piecing, I was able to get around the problem with a bit of splicing, adding a little scrap to the body piece.
I primarily used patterned ties, though there are a couple of striped ties included (they fit the color scheme). I think I’ll have to cut striped ties differently to maintain the direction of the stripe. “Matching” the stripe is a horse of a different color, though!!
Here’s a drawing of my next project, a small quilt I call “Birds of a Feather” for obvious reasons.
This pattern is a tessellation, a single shape that fits with itself to cover a surface without gaps or overlaps. The red and tan “birds” alternate on a dark/light blue background.
If you rotate the piece upside down, the dark/light blue shapes turn into birds on a red and tan background! I may have to attach a hanging sleeve on both ends to take advantage of that!
I’m looking forward to working on this piece. I will make it entirely of silk neckties formerly worn by The Very Reverend Michael P.G.G. Randolph (deceased), an Episcopal priest I knew and loved.
So far, I’ve cut open and gutted the ties, and now I’m attaching a sheer fusible interfacing for stability (photos to follow).
Stay tuned . . .