Late last year, I challenged myself to make quilts only from the fabric I have on hand before buying any new fabric.
I had acquired a stash from various fabric swaps and grab bags (or boxes) . . . Not all of the fabric would have been my choice, but I was stuck with it.
My first piece was called “Prayer Shawls, All.”
Next, I revisited an earlier design, and made “Birds of a Feather.”
I kept to the bird theme, and made this untitled piece of blue birds and orange birds.
I wasn’t entirely happy with this piece because I had to buy additional blue fabric to complement the orange (did I mention I have a LOT of orange fabric??).
But something clicked as I neared completion. My stitching improved. Mind you, I’ve been sewing this particular patch for YEARS, but somehow something changed. All the pieces fell into place; I stopped pinning pieces together before sewing; and, the patches turned out nearly perfect (except for trimming dog ears around the patch).
But, why get better at the END of a project??
To get ready for the NEXT project!!
I gathered all the leftover pieces from these three quilts, and sorted out the cool-colored fabrics: blue, blue-green, and green. There wasn’t much. And, I cut as much orange fabrics as I could (and I STILL have a lot of orange).
This is the design I’m gonna use: Do-Si-Do.
This design calls for a single patch colored two different ways. Here’s one:
I stitched these patches in a random way. I picked the first two pieces from the top of the stack and stitched them together, and so on. I ended up with these patches.
Now, some of these patches are single, and some have multiple copies.
First, I set them out, grouping like fabric together to form the trunks of the pinwheels.
Here’s the other stack of patches to sew.
I stitched these patches just like the first set: randomly. I set up a flannel design wall and put the original patches on it. Then I started matching the colored diagonal bars in the new patches with trunks.
When I ran out of matching “arms,” I improvised and substituted colors. After that, I put patches where they’d best fit in.
I love making tessellation quilts. It doesn’t hurt that the unit I use to create all my patchwork quilts makes it so easy.
Here’s a peek at my latest quilt from the tessellation nation . . .
I don’t have a name for this piece yet, but it brings to mind a piece by the Dutch graphic artist, M.C. Escher.
I tried to keep the fabric consistent for each bird, but I simply didn’t have that much fabric. In the future, I’m not gonna worry about it. I’ll have a stack of cut pieces that I consider a single color, and mix-and-match the fabrics interchangeably.
This is pattern FKOQR 1-1-2-1. It is a 4-shape tessellation, though I have combined all of the shapes into one. I shaded the design in four colors.
This design is basically the same as FKOQR 1-1-1-2, only shifted to the left. Color and arrange four patches to make four 4-patch blocks as shown below.
Arrange the four 4-patch blocks as shown below.
Try the jigsaw puzzle below. Remember, “a puzzle a day keeps dementia at bay.” Drag and drop the puzzle pieces into position (they flash and stick when they fit together). Clicking on “Continue” once you solve the puzzle takes you to MyPuzzle.org for more puzzles.